Cigars, A New Form of Breaking Bread.

I have a special place in my heart for the cigar community.  


No matter where I go to light up a cigar I always meet such interesting people and hear incredible stories. The best conversations I have are always around a cigar. It doesn't matter what town I'm in, how I'm dressed or what my profession is. I always meet nice people and have significant conversations with other people around cigars.


I could go on and on with one story after the next, but there's one story in particular that I want to share to illustrate why I feel how I do about the great community that is the Cigar Community.


Recently I had to travel to Indianapolis for a wedding. Upon my arrival at the church I saw a man walking back into the church shed, he looked like he had just got done with mowing the grass, and he had a cigar in his mouth. I thought, "Perfect, maybe he can tell me where I can pick up some cigars for me and my buddies to smoke that night." 


I followed him into the shed to ask him where he got that. Maybe he'd be able to tell me a cigar shoppe that was close by. He said he had ordered it online and didn't know any close by to direct me to. After that he very politely invited me into the shed with two other gentlemen to have a smoke and a beer. I said I really must head into the church for the rehearsal. However, I wasn't in the wedding party and I knew that if I missed it that I wouldn't be missing anything special. So I said, "Ok."


These men offered me a cigar and a beer. Three guys, whom I had never met, sat there with me and each shared a little about themselves and gave me some history of the church they worked at. They listened to me and my story too. They even offered me another cigar for the road and an invitation for me and my friends to come back later that night for more cigars and more beers. Awesome stuff.


This story isn't the only of its kind. This sort of thing happens where ever I go. It doesn't who you are or what your age is; the only thing that matters is that there's a cigar in your hand. I feel like cigar shoppes get a sort of tabooed stigma with them. My experience with cigar shoppes have been nothing less than wonderful. 


I frequent a local cigar shoppe in my community often. It's a place of study, a place of peace, a place of fellowship, a place of safety, it's place of community and sharing. I have a special place in my heart for the cigar community. I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the stories I get to hear and be apart of that take place around cigars. It's the kind of thing that should happen more often around the dinner table or a coffee shop. 


I don't know what it is, but for some reason whenever I'm around people with cigars in their hands people just start opening up ans sharing. I don't really get that, as much, when I break bread (share a meal) with people, but I do when I get a cigar in their hand.


Amen, Amen.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with a girl named Borderline Personality Disorder: A Short Tale of My Relationship

My Coffee is Warm

Rugged Where You Are.