OccupyAdvent "Your Christmas Tree"

Morning Readings:
Ps. 93 & 96
Gal. 3:15-22
Luke 1:67-80
*Matt. 1:1-17
(Common English Bible)

How do family trees have anything to do with Christmas trees? Christmas is a time for families, which probably means, for most people reading this: lots of food, watching football, opening and playing with presents, lounging around in pajamas, beer, egg nog and, of course, the stress. People love holidays because of the fact that it means it will be a time for their family to be together, but that also means it will be some of the most stressful times because their family will be together-the ironies of life. 

The Christmas tree, to me, represents family. I have no idea of the historical background and real birth from which the Christmas tree came. I really am not that interested in that, but if someone would like to to comment below and explain that would be very welcomed. However, for the purpose of this blog post, my Christmas tree will be representing family. 

When I look at my Christmas tree I see all kinds of lights, ornaments and trinkets. Most of those ornaments are meant to remind me of special people in my life and past years. Our tree isn't perfect, not that it's meant to be, but I love it. It's beautiful to me. Our Christmas story (in Matthew) starts with a tree, a family tree (genealogy). Boring right? I suppose it's common practice to skip this and move right on to the birth of Jesus. This is not perfect either. A closer examination of this tree will reveal pagans (non-Jews), black sheep, people who didn't get along well with others. This is the Christmas tree of our Lord Jesus. It's filled with people with issues like those even in my family. 

This family tree reminds me, yet again, that God relates to me-to all of us. Christ's family tree could have been filled only with nobles, angels, archangels, kings and royal powers, but it's not. It's has people included like my aunt, Cindy. May you be reminded that our Lord is near you. May your know that our savior, in all his holiness, does not intend to be separate from us, rather, he desires to be close to us. His family tree is proof of this. 

Peace be with you!


Follow me on Twitter @Metromonk.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living with a girl named Borderline Personality Disorder: A Short Tale of My Relationship

My Coffee is Warm

Rugged Where You Are.